Edna Deakin is perhaps best known for her collaboration with her cousin Clarence Dakin to restore Maybeck’s Temple of the Wings after the great Berkeley fire of 1923. Not much is known about her other commissions in the East Bay, so it is nice to have a chance to take a look at this Oakland duplex that is attributed to her. Deakin was one of the earliest woman architects in the Bay Area, being born one year before Julia Morgan. She apprenticed with John Galen Howard, and then worked for a number of other reputable firms before beginning to practice on her own.
This particular home is a nicely proportioned over-under duplex with a decidedly First Bay Region flavor. The floor plans of the two flats are very similar and while the lower unit has unfortunately been painted, the upper unit retains much of its original dark wood interiors.