After the immense success of the Homes of Tomorrow exhibition at the Chicago World’s Fair in 1933, General Electric decided to replicate the program across the country by cooperating with local utilities and architects to create GE Model Homes that would demonstrate the possibilities inherent in electrification to a wider audience. We are fortunate to have a number of these homes here in the East Bay including this impressive example in Alameda. It was designed by Oakland architect Francis Harvey Slocombe in the Art Moderne style that GE favored for these forward-looking residences and it remains especially relevant today due to the renewed interest in all-electric homes.
- Edificionado is an Oakland-based real estate brokerage specializing in architecturally and historically significant homes. The listings we feature here are those that have recently caught our eye due to their provenance or exceptional state of preservation. We select them without regard to size, price, or location and in general we are not the listing broker, so we have no stake in their being posted here. As we are based in Oakland, most of the homes will be in the East Bay, though we may throw one in from elsewhere in the Bay Area from time to time. If you would like to visit any of these homes, or receive a personalized list of properties more tailored to your specific requirements and tastes please contact Christian Olson at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 510 686 3343.
emelen on 171 San Marcos, San Franc… edificionado on 171 San Marcos, San Franc… emelen on 171 San Marcos, San Franc… edificionado on 1655 Arrowhead, Oakland emelen on 1655 Arrowhead, Oakland
- 872 Arlington, Berkeley - Charming First Bay Region residence designed by Julia Morgan: edificionado.wordpress.com/2023/03/27/872… 1 day ago
- 1815 Manzanita, Oakland - Impressive Third Bay Region residence by local design builder Martin Davis: edificionado.wordpress.com/2023/03/20/181… 1 week ago
- 171 San Marcos, San Francisco - Compelling Art Moderne / Bay Region hybrid designed by husband and wife team, Irvin… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 weeks ago
- 4536 Hillsborough, Castro Valley - Intriguing MCM designed by local architect and kung fu grandmaster Henry Luck: edificionado.wordpress.com/2023/03/06/453… 3 weeks ago
- 1655 Arrowhead, Oakland - Unusual A-frame/dome hybrid attributed to Burlingame architect Robert Blunk: edificionado.wordpress.com/2023/02/28/165… 4 weeks ago
Someone please hire me to fix that kitchen. I even know where to get bakelite pulls. Is that Ikea? It was hard to get a good look since it made my eyes burn when I looked at it.
￼ Architecture | Preservation | Interiors
38 Washington Ave, Suite B Point Richmond, CA 94801
P.O. Box 230 The Sea Ranch, CA 95497