Our featured home today is across the bridge in San Francisco but it was designed by two UC Berkeley alumni so we don’t feel like we have strayed too far from our stated purpose. Irving and Gertrude Morrow are perhaps the first successful husband and wife architectural practice in the Bay Area, forming their partnership in 1925 after both already had a number of significant projects under their belts individually. While they are best known for their commercial commissions, they undertook a number interesting residential projects as well. This one is particularly compelling because it is an unusual hybrid of Art Moderne and Bay Region styles. Other practitioners working at the same time like Gardner Dailey and William Wurster would incorporate International Style ideals as well to create what we think of today as the Second Bay Region Style, but it is exceedingly rare to see such a pure expression of Bay Region Moderne design.
- Edificionado is an Oakland-based real estate brokerage specializing in architecturally and historically significant homes. The listings we feature here are those that have recently caught our eye due to their provenance or exceptional state of preservation. We select them without regard to size, price, or location and in general we are not the listing broker, so we have no stake in their being posted here. As we are based in Oakland, most of the homes will be in the East Bay, though we may throw one in from elsewhere in the Bay Area from time to time. If you would like to visit any of these homes, or receive a personalized list of properties more tailored to your specific requirements and tastes please contact Christian Olson at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 510 686 3343.
emelen on 171 San Marcos, San Franc… edificionado on 171 San Marcos, San Franc… emelen on 171 San Marcos, San Franc… edificionado on 1655 Arrowhead, Oakland emelen on 1655 Arrowhead, Oakland
- 872 Arlington, Berkeley - Charming First Bay Region residence designed by Julia Morgan: edificionado.wordpress.com/2023/03/27/872… 1 day ago
- 1815 Manzanita, Oakland - Impressive Third Bay Region residence by local design builder Martin Davis: edificionado.wordpress.com/2023/03/20/181… 1 week ago
- 171 San Marcos, San Francisco - Compelling Art Moderne / Bay Region hybrid designed by husband and wife team, Irvin… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 weeks ago
- 4536 Hillsborough, Castro Valley - Intriguing MCM designed by local architect and kung fu grandmaster Henry Luck: edificionado.wordpress.com/2023/03/06/453… 3 weeks ago
- 1655 Arrowhead, Oakland - Unusual A-frame/dome hybrid attributed to Burlingame architect Robert Blunk: edificionado.wordpress.com/2023/02/28/165… 4 weeks ago
I can’t believe this was built in 1933! Will there be any open houses, do you know?
Yup. Open houses on both Saturday the 18th and Sunday the 19th from 2 to 4 PM.
The home went into contract before the weekend (understandably), so the open houses were canceled 😭😭